PAIR WITH: Ruby Ruby
Anchovies aren’t for everyone, but chicken covered in salty, garlicky anchovy butter and roasted to crisp, juicy perfection sounds amazing! It pairs wonderfully with the crisp hint of sweetness in a glass of lightly chilled Ruby Ruby.
Pairing recommended by David, a fan of Emeritus Pinots for years, via Facebook
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Rinse and pat the chicken dry with paper towels—the less it steams and the drier the heat, the better. Season with lots of salt and pepper, then set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine softened butter, chopped anchovies, minced garlic, salt and pepper to taste, and white wine (if using). Use a fork to mix.
4. Get the chicken, and have the fresh herbs handy because this next part can be messy. Smear the anchovy butter all over the chicken until every inch is thoroughly covered for maximum flavor. For best results, get under the skin as well!
5. Stuff the chicken cavity with the halved garlic and herbs.
6. Tuck any excess fat or skin back into the cavity and cut a foot-long piece of kitchen string. Tie the drumsticks together, crisscrossing the string a few times before pulling tight and securely—this way the drumsticks cover the top of the breast and keep it from drying out, and helps the chicken roast evenly.
7. Using a rimmed baking sheet or a large oven-safe skillet, place the chicken and shallots in and roast for 25-35 minutes, until the chicken starts to caramelize.
8. Remove from the oven briefly and use a spoon or baster to coat the chicken and onions in any drippings.
9. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue roasting another 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the onions are golden. (Now that the outside is browned, the lower temperature will help keep the meat nice and juicy.)
10. Once the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F, transfer the chicken to a cutting board or large serving platter to rest. Leave the fat, cooking juices, and onions behind.
11. Increase oven temperature to 425°F. While it’s heating up, toss the bread on the baking sheet or skillet until all the moisture has been absorbed.
12. Return the bread and onions to crisp in the oven for about 10-15 minutes. Serve this alongside the chicken and with chilled glasses of Ruby Ruby saignée. Enjoy!