Apple, Jam, & Brie Grilled Cheese
Wine and cheese: a classic combination. This sweet yet savory grilled cheese is easy to whip up and enjoy on a beautiful sunny day with a glass of Hallberg Blanc! When autumn comes around, just add a side of hot soup.
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 6oz brie, thinly sliced*
- 4 tbsp fic or currant jam
- 1 enough thinly sliced apple for one layer per sandwich**
- 4 tbsp butter
- ¼ red onion, sliced (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- ½ cup baby arugula (optional)
1. If adding red onion and arugula:
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet.
- Add onion slices and cook until caramelized, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
2. Spoon some jam over all four slices of bread; make sure to spread it evenly and as close to the edges as you can get without having to worry about it oozing out while cooking.
3. Take the first two slices of the bread and top with sliced brie, then sliced apples. If using, layer in the caramelized onions and arugula.
4. Top with the second two slices of bread.
5. In a pan with a lid, melt two tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat.
6. Place the sandwiches in the pan and cover. Allow to cook until golden on the bottom side, 1-3 minutes.
7. When the bottom is golden, add remaining butter and flip the grilled cheese. Cook with the lid on until golden on opposite sides and the cheese has melted, 1-3 minutes.
8. Cut sandwiches in half and serve immediately, remaining apple sliced on the side with lightly chilled glasses of Hallberg Blanc!
* Slicing brie is easiest after it’s spent a little time in the freezer. Not so much that it’s frozen solid, but just enough that a knife blade dipped in hot water goes through it like butter and leaves you with neat, thin slices.
** For apple varietal, we recommend Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious, or Ambrosia.