PAIR WITH: Don’s Block
Skip the breading and the frying with these easy to make jalapeño poppers. In less than an hour they’ll be done and ready to serve in style along with glasses of your favorite Pinot Noir!
Pairing recommended by our Assistant Vineyard Manager Riggs Lokka
1. With the oven rack in the middle of the oven, preheat to 400°F.
2. Put the cream cheese in a large bowl and let it come to room temperature while preparing the peppers.
3. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Halve the jalapeño peppers lengthwise. If desired, scrape out the seeds and ribs with a small spoon and discard.
5. For the filling, add the shredded cheese, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to the cream cheese and mix until well combined.
6. Fill the halved jalapeños with the cheese mixture, about 1 tbsp each. Once filled, use a knife to smooth the filling so it is flush with the tops of the peppers.
7. Cut the bacon slices in half, crosswise. Wrap each jalapeño half in a piece of bacon so the ends are tucked under the pepper, then skewer it from side to side with a toothpick to hold the bacon in place.
8. Arrange the peppers cut-side up on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy and the filling is melted and lightly browned.
The peppers can be stuffed and wrapped in bacon up to 1 day in advance and refrigerated.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
To make it vegetarian, simply omit the bacon. It’ll still be delicious.