Beet & Walnut Frisée Salad
PAIR WITH: Don’s Block
The natural leafy bitterness of the frisée is a perfect compliment to the vibrant, nutty qualities of our 2017 Don’s Block, and a healthy way to kick off the new year.
Recommended by our Winemaker, David Lattin.
- ¾-1 lb beets
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 medium orange, juiced and zested
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 10 oz frisée
- 2½ oz (or ½ cup) walnuts
- 2 oz (½ cup) goat cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Rinse and slice the tops off the beets. Place the beets in a small baking dish with 1 cup water, cover with foil, and roast until tender beets are tender when pierced, about 40-60 minutes.
3. Uncover; they’ll need about 30 minutes to cool to room temperature.
4. Reduce oven temperature down to 350°F. Arrange walnuts on a cookie sheet in a single layer and bake for 8-10 minutes, checking frequently to make sure they don’t burn.
5. In a small bowl, combine minced shallot, vinegar, orange juice, and orange zest. Whisk in the olive oil in a thin stream, then season with salt and pepper.
6. Wash, dry, and tear the frisée. Lightly chop the toasted walnuts. Once the beets have cooled, peel them and cut into thin slices, wedges, or small cubes.
7. Toss beets with 1-2 tablespoons of vinaigrette and set aside.
8. Toss the frisée with some of the remaining vinaigrette and divide the frisée evenly among salad plates.
9. Sprinkle with the beets and toasted walnuts, and 3-4 teaspoons of goat cheese. Serve alongside glasses of Don’s Block. Enjoy!