Braised Short Ribs
PAIR WITH: Wesley’s Reserve
Watch the instructional video here!
These Braised Short Ribs make a great meal and provide a wide range of leftover possibilities, with ingredients from the obvious (short ribs) to the unexpected (raisins).
From the kitchen of: Ambassador of Fun Paige Hansen
You can also find this recipe in Plate of Food by Laura Timbrook and Paige Hansen.
- 6 lbs bone-in short ribs
- 1½ cups onion, chopped
- 1½ cups celery, chopped
- 1½ cups carrots, peeled & chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp instant espresso or instant coffee
- ½ cup large raisins, mixed (golden and black)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper and add to a heavy, oven proof pot.
2. Add remaining ingredients, tomato paste last before liquids to just cover the ribs.
3. Cover, cook at 350°F for 2 ½ – 3 hours until tender. Check occasionally to turn the ribs and add more liquid if necessary.
4. Transfer ribs to plate, spoon fat from surface of sauce, and remove herb sprigs.
5. Puree sauce with immersion blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Return ribs to pot and simmer over medium heat to rewarm as needed. reduce heat to medium.
7. Serve over mashed potatoes and with a glass of Wesley’s Reserve. Enjoy!
Even better if made a day in advance, then reheated. A large batch makes for great leftovers!