Cheddar “Pearing” Burger
PAIR WITH: Hallberg Ranch
Burgers are a classic summer favorite, and this twist with a white cheddar and sweet pear is the perfect take of a backyard BBQ meal. Our Hallberg Ranch Pinot Noir is a great pairing to enjoy with it on National Burger Day!
Pairing recommended by our Director of Magic Jessie Johnson.
- 1½ ripe sweet pear, sliced lengthways as thinly as possible
- 2-4 thin slices of red onion
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling and cooking
- Red wine vinegar, for drizzling
- 75g of arugula and spinach mix
- 8oz ground beef
- 1oz bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp fresh ground back pepper, plus extra for seasoning
- 2 soft burger buns
- 2 (¾ oz) slices of white cheddar
- 2-4 slices of tomato
- Unsalted butter
1. Toss the sliced pair and red onion gently with the arugula and spinach mix, drizzling with a bit of virgin olive oil and rice vinegar, and season with a pinch of black pepper. Set aside.
Optional: Add a dash of horseradish for a spicier burger, or a dash of pickle relish for a hint of sweetness.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine and mix the ground beef, bacon, thyme, and black pepper by hand.
3. Form mixture into approximately two 4oz balls. Gently press with your hands just enough to flatten the tops and bottoms until the burgers are about half an inch thick.
4. Rub the burgers with olive oil, then place in a large non-stick frying pan (that has a lid, to be used later) on a high heat for 2 minutes, or grill until done to taste.
5. Flip the burgers and cook and add the slices of cheese. Throw in a dash of water for steam and quickly put the lid on. Cook for another 2 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
6. Butter and toast the inside of the buns until golden in another pan, then assemble your burgers. Include sliced tomatoes and your pre-made pear and greens mix, with any extra served with the burger as a side salad. Also serve with fries, if desired. Enjoy!