Marisa’s Red Salsa
Every good taco (or burrito, or huevos rancheros, or tortilla chip, or…) deserves great toppings. This red salsa recipe is authentic, tried, and true—and a little spicy! Enjoy it with some of our favorite wines to sip on in warmer months, lightly chilled.
- 4 medium tomatillos
- 3 cups water
- 5 dried chiles de arbol*
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
1. In a pot, put the tomatillos in with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes or until soft, and reserve a cup of the water for later.
2. In a small pan, sauté the chiles de arbol with the olive oil until brown.
3. Take the cooked tomatillos, ½ cup of the reserve water, chiles, and garlic clove in a blender and blend.
4. Add salt to taste. If the salsa is too thick, add more of the reserve water. Once you’re satisfied, serve and enjoy with a nice glass of lightly chilled Ruby Ruby or Hallberg Blanc!
* We used El Guapo brand chile de arbol.