Marisa’s Red Salsa
PAIR WITH: Ruby Ruby, Hallberg Blanc
Every good taco (or burrito, or huevos rancheros, or tortilla chip, or…) deserves great toppings. This red salsa recipe is authentic, tried, and true—and a little spicy! Enjoy it with some of our favorite wines to sip on in warmer months, lightly chilled.
Pairing recommended by both our Coordinator of Awesome Marisa Avila and Director of Magic Jessie Johnson.
- 4 medium tomatillos
- 3 cups water
- 5 dried chiles de arbol*
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
1. In a pot, put the tomatillos in with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes or until soft, and reserve a cup of the water for later.
2. In a small pan, sauté the chiles de arbol with the olive oil until brown.
3. Take the cooked tomatillos, ½ cup of the reserve water, chiles, and garlic clove in a blender and blend.
4. Add salt to taste. If the salsa is too thick, add more of the reserve water. Once you’re satisfied, serve and enjoy with a nice glass of lightly chilled Ruby Ruby or Hallberg Blanc!
* We used El Guapo brand chile de arbol.